It was interesting for me to read this piece by Euen Semple on his problems trying to get Orange to make his broadband work. Euen puts the problem down to Orange’s reliance on their systems, and I would back this up with my experiences with them dealing with my iPad sim-only contract. The issue I had is that their system wasn’t even designed to deal with my situation.
When I first bought my iPad, I thought I’d try out a different company for the 3G contract. This was to see if a company other that O2 gave a good service in my area, and if my iPad wasn’t getting any service, at least my phone might be, and vice versa. Unfortunately, the signal I got from Orange was, if anything, worse than that from O2.
When I bought my iPad 3, at first I just dropped the Orange sim in it, and for a few days it worked. Then I stopped getting any service, so I called Orange to ask what was up. First they told me to restart it, which made no difference, and then they told me I might need a new sim. At that point, I thought that if I’m going to wait for a new sim, I may as well cancel my contract, and after being passed around a few people a bit, I got through to someone who could do just that.
In fact, the problem was that Orange was down in my area, but the person on the phone seemed not to be aware of that. If he had been, I might still be an Orange customer today.
After my call, they texted my O2 phone with an Orange questionnaire asking how good the service I received was. I couldn’t answer any of the questions because the number the texts came from only worked from O2 phones.
A few days later, they sent me a letter offering me a better deal, including more ‘free texts’. Which, of course, would have been no use to me at all on the iPad.
My pain was nowhere near Euen’s admittedly, but it’s another example of a company that’s clearly over-reliant on automated systems and doesn’t even understand its own products.